Friday, February 25, 2011

Shepherd's Daughter's Pie


When I was growing up, my favorite thing to eat was my dad's version of Shepherd's Pie: corn, beef, mashed potato. So simple! But I was crazy for it. I was thinking about how good that would be the other night, but wanted to experiment a little. I came up with this recipe that I call the Shepherd's Daughter's Pie. It's a little more complex, but one of my favorite things that I've come up with so far. Also, this is vegetarian friendly, as long as you use the right gravy. I'll post pictures next time I upload!

Ingredients:
-2 lbs of red potatoes for mashed potatoes
-KOSHER salt, black pepper
-butter!
-garlic powder
-pinch of parsley
-milk
-sour cream
-frozen pie crust
-brown gravy mix (you can use whatever variety of gravy you want)
-chopped onions (about 1/2 a yellow onion in mine)
-small can (about 8.5 oz) corn
-panko breadcrumbs (maybe a small handful)
-small handful of parmesan cheese (not the stuff in the shaky-can but the real stuff!)

START with preheating the oven according to the pie crust directions... should be 350-375 degrees in a standard oven. Chop up your potatoes in big chunks, throw them in a pot with about 6-8 cups of water (depending on your pot!) and boil. Once the potatoes seem tender enough, drain the pot, throw the potatoes back into the pot and add milk immediately! Make sure you cut the temperature to zero right after you take the potatoes off to drain them. Just a smart move. You can use however much milk you think is right but I recommend about 3/4-1 cup of milk. Throw in about 1/4 cup butter and a spoonful or two of sour cream. The mashed potatoes I make are always really creamy since I basically copy my dad's "recipe" which is fearless and calorie packed. There is always a way to cut calories in a dish but I say go for it if you're bothering to make this one. Anyway, throw in your seasoning (salt, pepper, parsley, garlic powder). You can put the gravy together at the same time. Just follow the directions on the back and add the chopped onion to the gravy. Heat up the corn (10 minutes in a small pot, add black pepper and a touch of butter here). Once all those components are there, pour the gravy into the pie crust. I suggest going light on the gravy, but use enough to cover the bottom of the crust. On top of that, add a layer of corn, all of it. Load on ALL the mashed potatoes on top of the corn and smooth out. Throw some panko breadcrumbs and parmesan on top. Put in the oven for as long as the pie crust directions suggest (should be about 35 minutes), turning a few times throughout the cooking process. Should be a lovely golden brown! Serve up alone (very hearty) or follow these instructions for a nice side sauce --- 1 part strawberry jelly/jam for every 2 part applesauce, thin slab of butter. Heat in a small saucepan and stir until consistency is a little thicker than normal applesauce.

DELISH! Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment