Friday, February 18, 2011

Barbie's Tuna Salad

I had never tried canned tuna before the first time I made this! I was pretty stoked to have such a successful first experience with making it (although, let's be honest, tuna salad is pretty hard to mess up!). This can be eaten alone with pita chips or pita bread, but I recommend trying it with some honey wheat berry toast in sandwich form. Small raw cherry tomatoes and roasted potatoes pair really well with the taste of this tuna salad. The last time I made this, I shared it with three large guys and there was barely any left! But it makes plenty. Either way, this tuna salad keeps well for a few days in the fridge! Very easy, cheap dinner! Takes ten minutes!

Ingredients:
-3 cans of white, albacore tuna (in water). Drained & flaked!
-12 tblsp of mayonnaise - here, I'm going to say you can be really experimental with both type and amount of mayo used. Miracle whip, slighlty spicy mayo- both good ideas.
-3 tblsp Parmesan cheese, preferably fresh
-6 tblsp relish ... the original recipe calls for sweet relish but both sweet or dill work here
-a couple of shakes of dried, minced onion flakes, depending on how much you like onions
-1/2 teaspoon curry powder
-3 tblsp dried parsley
-2-3 tblsp dried dill weed
-1 pinch garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon black pepper
-This recipe can use salt but I didn't find it necessary (and I love salt!) - especially if you pair it with the potatoes. Very salty.

In a large bowl, mix tuna, mayo, cheese, & onion flakes. Mix together all the seasonings and serve it up. I find it tastes a little better after sitting in the fridge for 20-30 minutes just to settle but if you are in a hurry, skip this step. Still a great meal!

The original recipe was posted at: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/barbies-tuna-salad/Detail.aspx - My post is this same recipe but doubled-ish and with some slight alterations and comments. Thanks!

*I don't ever cook completely by the recipe and only use actual measuring tools in baking. It's not something I am bragging about but rather something I am lending caution to!

No comments:

Post a Comment